SomaFM independent internet radio
Monday, January 26, 2009
ZEPHYR - Zephyr


Zephyr. I was eager to purchase that album mainly because I admired Tommy Bolin's playing with Billy Cobham (in the amazing "Spectrum") and with Deep Purple in "Come Taste The Band" (Deep Purple have never been among my favourites-I only liked their MKI albums to be honest). I had also read somewhere that Zephyr were fronted by a female singer whose voice was very much like Janis Joplin's, only louder and harsher.
After the very first spin, I was amazed at the musicianship but disappointed with Candie Givens' voice. She's actually trying too hard to sound like Janis Joplin and the results are...ehm...crap, really. There are songs in which her pretentious falsetto is simply unbearable to listen to. Shame, because the rest of the band really kicks ass playing a blend of blues and hard rock with jazz elements. Anyway, maybe some of you appreciate what I haven't so far. Again, the musicianship level is really high and it's only the vocals that really get on my nerves... I'd like to know if anyone's got a different opinion, actually.




Rip is in 192kbps (sorry for that but I ripped it ages ago, when bitrate was ...a secondary consideration). Sound quality is very good though, don't worry!

Enjoy!

Zephyr

PS: I would appreciate some comments; after all they're the only reason for this blog to keep going. Don't be a dummy, drop me a line!
posted by Nada at 10:55 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At January 27, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Blogger Tom Eckels

    Well, you asked for comments on this one.....
    I've had this album, the first one, along with the other two Zephyr albums since they were released back in the early 70's. Given the possibility that you're just hearing this music for the first time you can be forgiven for your tin ear when it comes to Candy's vocals. At the time this album was new she was blowing away all the other chick singers with her emotional voice and amazing range. What you call screeching is actually a controlled, in key, wail. I love this girl, did back then, still do. for me she was head and shoulders above Joplin.
    I will agree with ya that the musicianship is excellent, Tommy Bolin was one of the best in that era up until his death.
    If this album is your only exposure to the band I'd highly suggest that you listen to GOING BACK TO COLORADO & SUNSET RIDE. Each album was a unique and very satisfying musical experience back then and still is to this day.
    Hell, Joplin couldn't play a harmonica and Candy could really wail. I'd suggest you find the other two albums and keep playing this one until the lights come on.

    I have all 3 albums available on my blog if you don't have them....

    http://tcsoldnewmusicreview.blogspot.com/

    respectfully yours

    TC  
  • At January 27, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Blogger Nada

    I've listened to this album many times my friend but I never actually got to like Givens's voice. Your comment is definitely welcome, as well as your age and experience concerning the subject. Yet, I think it's just a matter of taste and not understanding when it comes to like something you hear. I've also got "Going back To Colorado (on tape, unfortunately)" and my opinion is the same.

    Your comment is truly enlightening (well, except for the "tin ear" bit - jumping to such conclusions without even knowing the person you're talking to is pretty immature).

    Thanks for dropping by  
  • At April 22, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Blogger mike-floyd

    Had this one on cd some years ago and sold it - I absolutely agree with your statements about Given's voice - I couldn't stand it as well, though I liked the music; nevertheless nothing to get too excited about...

    mike-floyd  
  • At October 2, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    hello
    just saying hi
    your blog is very nice!
    you can visit my blog whenever you want!

    cheers!
    adriana.
    ________
    .el camaleon  
  • At June 11, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Blogger j. e.

    discazo! gracias..